RS Feva_750

RS Feva Nationals 2014

By Harvey Martin and Bobby Hewitt

Harken sponsored sailor update from Harvey Martin and Bobby Hewitt 

We turned up in Weymouth and dropped the boat off after a very long drive down on bank holiday Friday before finding our accommodation. Mum had done a great job booking a house less than a mile from the Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy (WPNSA) – perfect.

We registered early on Saturday morning and did a few practise starts and one practice race before heading in for an early night. We felt good.

Sunday morning dawned with plenty of breeze over the course. We were feeling psyched, knowing that we had trained hard and today’s results would set the pace for the whole regatta. We got out later than everyone else, a novelty for us as we are usually first on the water, and did all our usual pre start checks out on the water.  We were feeling nervous. The feet ahead of us got away all clear as did our start. We sailed the first beat quite well and were in close second at the first mark. We overtook the leaders on the run and sailed safely for the last lap to take the first win of the day. Whilst we were stoked at our win we knew we needed to keep a clear head.

In race two, we were on the first start and so on the outer loop, a much better course for us. We had a great start and played the first beat perfectly to round the top mark with a decent lead. Down the run we extended further and went on to secure our second bullet.

In race three the breeze dropped off slightly meaning we were not planing downwind. We rounded the top mark in fifth, but up the second beat the top five changed a lot and we managed to come out in second.  Down the final run we took the lead, holding it all the way to the finish.

A great first day, just the kind we were hoping for.

Day 2

After a postponement on shore we launched in hardly any breeze. A different approach was going to be needed if we were going to have a successful day. The race officer started one race, but had to abandon as marks were still being moved as we were heading up the second beat. After a short delay the officer managed to restart in six to seven knots of breeze and we secured ourselves a third which was a solid counter.  It had been a day where patience paid off.

Day 3

The first race again saw very light winds, so much so that as the fleet got to the top mark and the breeze dropped below two knots the race officer had to abandon. As we got back down to the start line we found out we had been black flagged and had to sit out the next race, which wasn’t what we had hoped would happen.

As the breeze clocked left and increased significantly the second race was started and whilst we didn’t have a great start we managed to tack out straight away and found a near perfect lane, out of trouble. We made a good comeback and finished in second after taking four boats down the final run.

The penultimate race started which could decide the championship. We started well and rounded second at the top mark, taking the boat in first down the first run, leading the rest of the way to take the win and subsequently the championship. It felt great, but all we can remember is being hungry!

The final race was started after a rain storm. We led all the way until the last beat, where going left didn’t pay as well as we thought it would, finishing third.   However, it meant that all our counting scores were in the top three.

The RS Feva Nationals 2014 will certainly be a championship to remember!

“Congratulations to Harvey and Bobby from all the Harken Team!”

  • United States
  • Australia
  • France
  • Italia
  • New Zealand
  • Polska
  • Sverige
  • UK